Almost all free apps available on Google play store comes with an ads. To stay up in the business and development, app developers and companies get paid by advertising agencies. This makes them provide free apps and still generate revenue by showing ads in their apps.
Sometimes it’s really annoying to see full screen pop up ads over and over again. Specially if you are playing your favorite game or using favorite app. First option is to go for the paid version of the app to get rid of the ads, but many of us may not go for this option. Second option is to block ads. In this post I will show you the easiest ways to block ads in android apps, games and browsers. So lets get started..
1. Block Ads in Android apps with “Hosts” file
In this method you will learn how hosts files can be used to block ads in android apps, games and browsers. Before getting into it you need to understand what is the host file. Hosts file is an operating system file that maps host names to IP addresses. It is a plain text file. Hosts files helps in translating human-friendly host names (for example, facebook.com) into numeric protocol addresses, means IP addresses. The hosts file contains lines of text consisting of an IP address.
Please note that this method works for only rooted devices. For unrooted devices check the second method.
How to use Hosts file?
1. Open any of the website from your desktop and download the web page. Right click and Save as. Be default it will be saved as Hosts.txt
2. Transfer the file to your mobile via USB or any file transfer app like Share it. I use a lot. Its easy and fast.
3. Open file manager and go to /system/etc. If you don’t have any file manager download ES File Manager or Astro File Manager or any other you like.
4. You may find hosts file already present. Just rename it to .bak and paste the new hosts.txt file.
2. Use AdBlock Plus App to Block Ads in Android:
AdBlock Plus is created by Wladimir Palant in 2006. It is an open source project licensed under GPLv3. It blocks annoying ads, disable tracking and block domains known to spread malware. Google Play Store has removed all ad-blocking apps as it is against their policy.
As you are going to install direct apk file you will need to enable “allow applications from unknown sources” option.
The app works with rooted as well as not rooted phones.
How to use AdBlock Plus App?
You will need to setup the app to make it work best for your device.
1. Download the AdBlock Plus app from their website : https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install
Here is direct link: https://downloads.adblockplus.org/adblockplusandroid-1.3.apk
Go to Downloads folder and locate adblockplusandroid-1.3.apk and tap on it.
2. Configure the proxy settings.
i) Click on ‘Configure‘ button.
ii) It will open up Proxy Configuration pop up. Click on ‘Open wireless settings‘.
iii) Long press on connected network and tap on ‘Modify network‘.
iv) Tap on ‘Show Advanced options‘ and select ‘Manual‘.
v) Enter Proxy hostname as ‘localhost‘ and Proxy port as ‘2020‘. Tap on ‘Save‘.
Done. You are ready to go.
For older Android versions from Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) devices to Android 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat) devices refer this link : https://adblockplus.org/en/android-config
Do let me know if you have any queries.